I want to take a minute and thank all of you who regularly visit and tweet/like Untemplater on a regular basis because your support and readership mean so much to me! I really enjoy being able to share my stories, helpful tips, and my untemplate journey with you. I hope you are finding more ways to shatter the template lifestyle every day so you can pursue the things in life that fill you with excitement and make you come alive. It’s been an action packed year with its ups and downs, mostly ups, and I’m looking forward to sharing more with you as we dive into 2013. Here are 15 great reads you might have missed this year!
2012 Untemplater Highlights
1. Quit Your Job And Die Alone: This was the most commented post on Untemplater with a record 203 comments! Making good money on your own is way harder than you might think. Read this popular mega post which features four real life examples of why entrepreneurship is super tough before you go hand in your 2 weeks notice.
2. Taxes Suck And Make Me Want To Shut Down My Small Business: It’s hard work being an entrepreneur and taxes take on a whole new meaning you’re self employed. Tax return season is also starting up (augh!) and with all the news about the fiscal cliff, we all need to get prepared to fork over our hard earned money.
3. The Average Wedding Cost Is Crazy: I went to a crazy elaborate wedding this year and I’m so perplexed why people spend so much money getting married. I think more people should simplify, have a blast without spending a fortune, and avoid starting their marriage in serious debt. I think a lot of couples underestimate the importance of personal finance when they’re young.
4. How Much Is The Average Severance Package: If you think you could get laid off or are contemplating quitting your job, make sure to do your research first and read this post. There are some things that will surprise you.
5. Get Rich With Punctuality And A 6am Wake Up Call: Do you have what it takes to be successful in your career and finances? You can’t get there without nailing these key skills first.
6. You Don’t Have To Be Famous To Be A Rockstar: The hype of celebrities cloud a lot of people into thinking that they have to be famous in order to have “made it.” Find out why I disagree.
7. Question To Ask Before You Quit Your Job: This is an important post to read if you’re having any thoughts about quitting your job, especially since Q1 is a popular time for turnover. Find out if you’re ready or not.
8. Are Your 30’s Better Than 20’s?: This is a question I used to wonder a lot about. Now that I’ve crossed over into my 30’s find out what my thoughts are and share your experiences in the comments section!
9. How To Overcome Obstacles: Forget Wheaties, Gobble Up Problems For Breakfast: We all face many challenges in life and at the end of the day we determine what we can overcome. It’s time to step up your game!
10. When Is It Time To Quit? Why I Gave Up My Dream: Sometimes a passion is best kept as a hobby even though the decision isn’t always easy. Read about my personal journey and what led me to throw in the towel.
11. 55 Bucket List Ideas And Tips: Why You Need A Bucket List Now: Don’t wait until your health is failing to put together a bucket list. I think it’s best to write a bucket when you’re young and time is on your side. Plus you can always edit it your interest change and as time goes on. I made my own bucket list this year and am proud of my progress and excited about crossing more things off in 2013.
12. Untemplate And Go Against The Grain: Following the herd and taking the easy way out is easy to do when we’re young. And I find it so intriguing and even weird looking back and seeing how much we’ve changed over time. Embrace your true colors and shine!
13. The Risks Of Starting A Business: There are lots of things to consider before becoming an entrepreneur and starting your own business. Make sure to consider all of the risks before jumping in or you’ll be hitting yourself later.
14. Making The Most Of What You Have In The Moment: It’s easy to forget how precious life is when we’re stressed out and tired. But we should never take the time we have for granted. Treasure your health while you have it and remember we all have more than we think!
15. What Do You Do When You Don’t Know What To Do With Your Life: We’ve all found ourselves wondering what the answer to this question is at least once, but more often than not we find ourselves facing this question at many stages in our lives.
I Love Hearing From You
Before I became a blogger, I’d never left a comment on a website before. I had no idea what would happen if I clicked submit, or if I had to reveal my personal information, or if anyone actually cared. If you’ve never tried it before, I really encourage you to try it sometime. I absolutely love receiving comments from you guys and they mean a lot to me. I read every comment that comes through on Untemplater, and do my best to respond to each one.
So, please feel free to ask questions, share your opinions, and be a part of the discussion. It’s super easy and quick too! Your email address is kept private, and won’t be sold or distributed. You can even use a nickname when you comment if you prefer not to use your real name. Just please be sure to follow the simple and straight forward Untemplater commenting guidelines as I have a no spam, no bullying policy.
And if you ever want to drop me a private email, you can reach me anytime through this contact form and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.
Thanks For An Incredible 2012!
It’s been a fantastic year and I’m excited about what’s to come in 2013. If you haven’t already created some goals or New Year’s resolutions, I strongly encourage you to start hustling, get over your TV addiction, write down some action plans, brainstorm some ideas for your bucket list, and find a career that you love. Happy New Year!
Work where you want…Live how you want…Be who you want to be.
Untemplaters, did you have a favorite post from the 2012 Untemplater Highlights list? What was your favorite memory, achievement, or adventure from 2012? Are you ready to dive into 2013 with a list of goals and action plans?
Copyright 2012. Original content authorized only to appear on Untemplater.com. Thank you for reading!
Brick By Brick Investing | Marvin says
Looks like 2012 was a good year for you! I liked the article quit your day job and die it really puts things into perspective after you peel back the onion a bit.
Financial Samurai says
Thanks for all the great support and editing of my book this year Sydney. Couldn’t have done it without you. Nice job growing Untemplater over the past couple years as well. I’m glad you took it over when you did. I love the concept behind Untemplater and plan to be one myself.
The “when to give up on your dreams” post really sticks with me. We’ve all got to make practical choices sometime. But, with financial independence, it’s back to being a kid and dreaming again!
Of course! It was a great learning experience for me and has motivated me to write an ebook myself. I just have to work hard on focusing and setting aside enough time to work on it. And thanks for the kind words on Untemplater. Your contributions have been a life saver with my crazy schedule and it’s nice to share different perspectives.
I enjoyed writing that post on giving up my dream. Even though things didn’t work out the way I hoped in the beginning, they worked out for the best. I made a goal to improve my photography skills this year and it’s nice to be able to learn new things without so much pressure and on my own schedule. Happy New Year to you too!