By now you’ve heard the term bucket list. You know, a list of things you want to do before you kick the bucket. I didn’t really think about putting together a bucket list for myself until I watched the movie with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman when I was on vacation in 2007.
The movie was simple, yet very effective. And boy did I bawl my eyes out when Edward (Nicholson’s character) crossed out “kiss the most beautiful girl in the world” and Matthew (Edward’s valet) put Edward’s ashes next to Carter’s on the top of the Himalayas and crossed out “witness something truly majestic.”
There’s something magical about the word majestic and that’s one of the secrets to having a great bucket list – challenging yourself to experience the MAJESTIC and feeling incredibly ALIVE while you’re still able.
How To Make A Bucket List
So how do you make a bucket list? Well the best part is there is no right or wrong way to do it! You just have to take the time to put a list together. Some people list theirs in the order they want to complete things and others scribble theirs down randomly. I chose to put mine together by category. I actually had my bucket list forming in my head for the longest time but I’m glad I finally put it together this past week when I was relaxing on the beach.
Step one is simply figuring out where you want to keep track of yours so you always have access to it. I put mine online so that it’ll never get lost and so that I can share my personal journey with you. Whether you decide to keep yours private or show it to the world, the most important thing is to write it down and do it asap!
Trust me on writing it down because the draft version I had for my bucket list in my head was nowhere near as cool or as extensive as the one I created in writing. It’s also too hard to keep track of things if you can’t stare at them, plus you’ll get so much satisfaction when you get to literally cross items off your bucket list!
Quick And Easy Bucket List Tips
- Write your bucket list down (trust me, just do it!)
- Have a minimum of 10 items (life is too short to have a tiny list)
- Think BIG (even if something seems impossible right now)
- Get specific (you’re more likely to accomplish things this way)
- Don’t worry about what other people may think (bucket lists are about YOU)
- Read your bucket list regularly and get active (b/c only you have the power to make things happen!)
Why You Need A Bucket List
I’m the type of person who sets high expectations for myself and I get a big high when I complete things. But even though I make a lot of goals for myself each year (see what I mean here: my 2012 goals), there are things I want to do in life that are bigger than my day-to-day objectives.
A bucket list will bring a lot of challenges and a lot of joys to your life. And that’s what living is all about! I used to want an easy life just lounging around every day until I got smart. Twenty years from now we’re going to smile at all the troubles we overcame, all the things we learned, and everything we tried. The things that are going to make you frown when you look back on your life are the things that you were too chicken or too lazy to try. Failure is better than never giving yourself a chance at success.
I bet you didn’t know I’m scared of heights and the ocean. And if you read my bucket list you’re probably wondering why I have so many things related to the water and climbing on my bucket list. Well I’ll tell you why – because overcoming fears is incredibly liberating! Try it sometime and you’ll see what I mean.
55 Ideas To Get You Started On Making A Bucket List
Ready to start making your bucket list?! Here are some fun ideas to get you started:
- Donate $10,000 to a children’s hospital
- Go on a humanitarian trip to Africa
- Rent an RV for a month
- Climb Mt. Fuji with your best friend
- Win a merit based scholarship
- See every country in Europe
- Become a foster parent
- See all of the National Parks
- Take a cross country road trip
- Window shop at every store in the Mall of America
- Go on all the rides at Disneyland
- Complete a triathlon
- Teach an adult how to read
- Attend an event at the Olympics
- Take a transatlantic cruise
- Spend the night in a Medieval castle
- Sing karaoke solo in front of total strangers
- Get a black belt in karate
- Go on a camping trip in Alaska
- Ride a donkey up the mountain to Santorini
- Rent a boat along the Congo River
- Kiss a dolphin
- Learn how to fly a plane
- See all the ancient wonders in Egypt
- Have a conversation with a stranger in a foreign language
- Sing the national anthem in front of 500 people
- Star in a TV commercial
- Attend a church service at the Sagrada Familia after it is completed
- Travel entirely by train on a 6 month trip through Europe
- Take a trip to see glaciers and polar bears
- Ride the top 10 highest roller coasters in the world
- Become a vegetarian
- Attend the Iditarod sled races in Alaska
- Ride on a ship through the Panama Canal
- Walk the entire length of the Great Wall of China
- Swim to and stand behind a giant waterfall
- Give a graduation speech to 3,000 students
- Zip line across the Amazon rainforest
- Visit every island in South East Asia
- Have dinner with your favorite musician
- Get entirely out of debt
- Participate in Brazil’s Carnival
- Make it to the final table at the World Series of Poker
- Become a homeowner
- Visit Victoria Falls
- Save a life becoming a bone marrow donor
- Swim with sharks in Palau
- Audition for a game show
- Become the president of a community organization
- Swim from San Francisco’s Aquatic Park to Alcatraz island
- Help someone complete an item on their bucket list
- Be a featured artist at a local gallery or business
- Learn how to drive a stock car at Talladega Raceway
- Attend a prayer service at The Blue Mosque
- Start your own business
I hope I’ve given you some inspiration to work on your bucket list!
START YOUR PROFITABLE WEBSITE TODAY
Never Quit, Get Laid Off Instead. Learn how to negotiate a great severance for yourself in How to Engineer Your Layoff! By getting laid off from a job you wanted to leave anyway, you can collect a severance, health care insurance, deferred compensation, unused vacation days, and be eligible for unemployment. The book provides helpful case studies and a framework for you to have a strategic conversation with your manager on how to profitably quit your job. Can you imagine having a nice financial runway to pursue your dreams without the stress of having to make a lot of money?
Start Your Own Profitable Website Today – Want to make more money and be more free? Work on building your brand by creating your own website the easy way with a WordPress site like mine through Bluehost for super cheap. You can register your domain for under $20/year and get hosting for only $3.49/month. Whatever your interests are, focus on building your skills and developing your own unique niche.
I’ve been blogging since 2010 and it has allowed me to break free from the corporate grind to travel, work from home, consult for companies that I like, and do so many more things I’ve always wanted to do but couldn’t. The income is relatively passive as posts I’ve written years ago are still being found through Google and generating income. What’s better than making passive income and creating a valuable asset you can one day sell for a multiple of annual income?
I’ve conquered my biggest fears by going off on my own thanks to this website and it feels wonderful. Not a week goes by where I’m not thankful for starting this website to live the life I want to live!
Updated for 2016 and beyond
Latest posts by Sydney (see all)
- Magically Mystical, Karl The Fog: Untemplater Income Report May 2016 - June 20, 2016
- Don’t fall for these 5 small business scams! - June 13, 2016
- Save more money this summer like your life depends on it - June 6, 2016